Saturday, February 09, 2008

Yo, I was in NAM

I just got back from my first tour in Nam. Not Viet-nam of course, but N.A.M., the National Association of Manufacturers, where industrial lobbyists are learning how to blog. One thing that really scares them is the idea that polluting and denying global warming
might one day be recognized as the crime that it is. Despite all the legal protections given by corporate entities, these rape-the-earth-and-retire-early types (REREs) are actually sweating the hushed whispers of formalizing inter-generational crimes. In the manufacturer's view, mis-information campaigns should enjoy their rights to free speech more than your children should enjoy rights to breathe or maintain body temperatures below 104 degrees. Read on about it here: stupid NAM blog entry.

I posted a comment, but since they are moderated, I'm enclosing my comment here for the public record. I'll notify NAM and give the author a chance to respond even if they decide my comment isn't right for the official NAM.ORG website.

X Sama's comment:

"Extremism is going mainstream," says the National Association of Manufacturers. It's sad to see so little thoughtful reflection in this blog post. 100% reactionary whining.

We are in the middle of a huge cultural shift - where what once seemed extreme will become the norm. Just as it's a crime to incite others to violence and murder, it should be a crime to incite violations of all individual rights - even if the effects won't be noticed for years.

Denying the causal link between greenhouse gas emissions and unprecedented temperature acceleration used to be cute, but it's time to think about how we are raising the next generation. How will they mature when adults are fighting so hard for willful ignorance and profiteering?

Note: NAM screen their comments, "to protect against malicious comments," so if they don't publish my comment, they will have officially slandered my as a malicious commenter!

No comments: